When a person is not able to handle his or her own personal affairs a court can appoint an individual or professional to act on behalf of that person.

Generally, there are two types of guardianships, guardianships of minor children, and guardianships of incapacitated adults. In both instances, the probate court has jurisdiction to determine if a guardian is necessary and who should be the guardian of the minor child or incapacitated adult. Also, in both instances there is a process in which the minor child or incapacitated adult is notified along with the nearest of kin, in order to assure their rights are fully protected. Guardianships of minor children are usually not necessary if the natural parents can care for a child or children. However in some instances, like a death or incapacity of a parent, a guardianship is necessary.

Stephen Hagler LLC, Attorney at Law has been preparing wills, and assisting families in the process of probating wills or administering estates, and establishing guardianships and conservatorships since 1991. Please give Steve a call and he will be glad to meet with you and answer any questions you may have.